Too often companies will not have a well-thought-out marketing plan or not have one at all. It is essential to your success to have a fully developed plan to use as a guide throughout the year. Flying by the seat of your pants in marketing can sometimes be a good thing, but we believe you need solid ground in order to make sound business decisions that will benefit your business in the long run.
Here’s why you need a marketing plan for the new year and every year:
- Determine your goals. Before you even develop your marketing plan, sit down and decide what your goals are for the coming year. Do they include increasing brand awareness, driving sales, introducing a new product? These are the things you need to think about beforehand.
- Set a budget. Having a budget and sticking to it will help you manage your resources and impress your boss. Define budgets for each and every marketing initiative, and adjust them as needed given the performance of your different advertising platforms.
- Research and discover industry trends. Always do your research before you put together any plan. This means competitor research, industry research, analysis of your customers, and so on. Find out where the future of marketing is headed and plan accordingly.
- Develop timeframes and tasks. Having a marketing plan will help you develop strategic timeframes and short- and long-term goals. Use your plan to determine the steps and tasks necessary to execute each initiative. Staying organized will always assist you in your efforts.
- Maintain focus. Having focus on your marketing goals and initiatives will help you plan properly, keep your budget in check, and sail as smoothly as possible through the year. By maintaining your focus you will be able to properly direct your team and achieve success.
Does your company have a marketing plan in place? Tell us in the comments below.